Today was a good bird count day. I was very happy to see the Red-bellied woodpecker. They are such spirited birds and I love that 'barking dog' sound they make to announce their arrival. Some of the birds and behaviors that were observed today:
- 6 Starlings that enjoyed my heated bird bath immensely. They splashed around for several minutes.
- 5 House sparrows
- 1 male cardinal
- 1 Junco
- 1 Nuthatch so polite taking one peanut at a time from a wire cage feeder.
- 1 Blue Jay that was too shy to come to the feeders but made sure everyone heard him in the yard.
- 4 Mourning doves that enjoyed pooping in my heated bird bath. I had to clean it three times today.
- 1 Red-bellied woodpecker that fought off the starlings quite admirably so it could enjoy the suet cake in peace.