Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Blue Heron versus My Husband




Now that spring is here, I assume the battle of the Blue Heron versus my husband will resume. Last year my husband put a small goldfish pond in our yard. He was so proud of it with his decorative rocks and surrounding plants. Soon after, his fish kept disappearing and he was suspicious of the squirrels and birds. One morning I looked out our kitchen window and could not believe I was seeing this huge bird! We watched him gulp down the last of my husband's fish. Who would've thought that this bird would've been able to spot our small little pond in our even smaller yard. Someone gave us the tip to put a couple strands of fishing line across the pond and that this will stop the Blue Heron. We'll see....but I must admit, I hope the Blue Heron returns again.

6 comments:

Chris said...

What a beautful Blue Heron! Too bad he can't leave your poor fish alone. Around here, the raccoons eat the goldfish out of backyard ponds!

Jessica said...

A friend of mine has a back yard pond and experienced the same thing. They did the fish line and it worked pretty well. Good luck.... But it is neat to see him there!

Anonymous said...

Very funny story! If the fishing line doesn't work, maybe the fish pond could turn into a deliberate feeding pond for the Heron and Husband buy a fish tank for inside ;)

Jan Marie said...

We have a pond so we see a lot of the Great Blue Herons. They are just wonderful.

How about putting some chicken wire over the pond but maybe 2 inches under the water. You'll be able to see the fish. But hopefully the heron won't be able to reach in with his beak. Might be kinda funny to watch and see what he comes up with the get at the fish.

Shelley said...

Dynochick,

Thanks for the idea of the chicken wire! It would be fun to see if it stops him!
Shell

Mary said...

I'm sure the heron was thinking, "Ah, at last a bird feeder that makes sense to me!" (My husband came up with that)