Monday, June 23, 2008

I'm a Loon Ranger!

I would like to introduce you to my new little friends I will be watching over "officially" in my new capacity as a Loon Ranger. As some of you may already know, I am just crazy about the Loons (no pun intended) and I worry about their decreasing population, especially in Michigan. So I got to thinking how I could help and thought about the returning Loon pair that is on a bordering lake to our log cabin. Next thing you know - I'm contacting the Michigan Loonwatch and they assign me to the pair I've come to know and love. I'm reading over the manual and looking forward to reporting on their activities as well as tracking their progress a little more closely from my kayak. The pictures below are the first shots I have of their 2 babies (I was far away on shore unfortunately) - I hope to post better ones soon. I feel like a proud mom as well as a lioness who will defend and protect her cubs. Now I just need some names for them....




14 comments:

kjpweb said...

So you're officially a loonatic, huh?
A great job to do, though! Waiting for the pics to come!
Cheers, Klaus

NCmountainwoman said...

Congratulations Ranger Shelley! It will be a benefit to others and great fun to share your loon watching.

We're looking forward to seeing more of them.

Dave Dorsey said...

That's awesome Shelly. I'm anxious to see more pictures.

Shelley said...

KJ- yes - I'm a loonatic! ha!

NC - thank you - I'm really excited!

Dave - thanks - hope to provide better shots soon. I admire the work you do at your treatment center!

Birdgirl - the more loon babies the better!

Richard said...

Ranger Shelley....soon to be promoted to Cruise and Social Director...:-)

sandy said...

Well how cool is that, Loon Ranger... funny how one things leads to another.

Shelley said...

Richard - that would be great if the Loons would let me plan their events - that's what you meant - right? :-)

Sandy - I like seeing where the path in life takes me..this definitely seems like one of my true callings.

Jessica said...

Thanks fantastic!! You should have fun with that. Happy Loon watching!!

Eve said...

Congratulations Shelley!!! I’m trying to help you think of names…but I’ve got coco and puffs stuck in my head….you know “cuckoo” for coco puffs… Ha Ha sorry it’s the best I can do…..

Roses and Lilacs said...

Shelly, I admire your bird photography and your sense of humor:)

I love your site. It's a great place to wander through.
Marnie

Q said...

Dear Shelly,
A wonderful job!
Looking forward to reports.
I am terrible at names. I tend to call all cats, "kitty"!
Sherry

Kathie Brown said...

Congrats! I can't wait to see and hear more. So, I've added you to my Blogroll. I'm loony for loons also. Can you capture their call and play it for us?

Anonymous said...

just discovered your blog today- we have much in common, my hubby and I were loon rangers for many years. It's always a good feeling to put our efforts into protecting what we hold dear.. have fun and keep your camera ready to take photos of anyone harassing the loons- they face heavy fines if busted, and rightly so.

Shelley said...

Thank you everyone for your positive comments!

Cindy - how great that you were a loon ranger! I'm sure you have some interesting stories...