Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Don't upset the Loon!

Loon week continues on my blog! Here's the father Loon giving a warning to some fishermen that were too close to their family. Loons need their privacy and space and can become very sensitive to disturbance. When upset - they will give their tremolo call (that Loon laugh - hence the phrase crazy like a Loon) and they will stand up out of the water and flap their wings to make themselves appear bigger. I am happy to report the fishermen moved on and the father settled down. It is best to keep zoom camera lens distance around the families.


6 comments:

John B. said...

I'm enjoying this loon series, too.

sandy said...

glad the fisherman moved on and left them alone..

Christy said...

Nice shot. I went to a lecture given by a Michigan photographer, Charles St.Charles, and he spent a significant portion on loons. I have been fascinated ever since. The coolest things I remember was giving them distance and time to be acquainted with your presence and that the bones of a loon are actually hollow allowing them to dive deep in the water to get food.

The Birdlady said...

Great image - I love this loon series.

Shelley said...

Bird girl - thanks so much - I think they are so beautiful!

John & Birdlady - glad you are enjoying the Loon series!

Sandy - me too - I was getting close to saying something to them and then they finally moved on.

Christy - that sounds like a great lecture I would've like to have heard! I've been reading loon books and my loon ranger manual like crazy!

Jessica said...

What good protective parents!!